Tokyo Watch

Thursday, September 21, 2006

September 18th Part 2

The Hiro intersection is a busy area with many cars, people and ofcourse in Japan, bicycles. Unlike other areas of Tokyo though, there is a obvious absence of tourists. All the foreigners seem to live here either carrying grocery bags or pushing baby trolleys. I cross the ko-sa-ten to the other side. There is a narrow windy street up the hill. I notice a very old, Japanese beauty parlour and a barbarshop. It's interesting to see such traditional salons or "tokoya" in an area where everyone seems to go to places like "Mod's"or "Tony&Guy".

The two salons are on a small street next to Segafredo's. This cafe is really popular with foreigners here in Hiro and also in Shibuya. I suppose the Europeans and Americans like the coffee here and the international atmosphere. I order a drink that I can't pronounce and the man who serves me says, "(name of drink I ordereld), preggo!" to the coffee maker behind him. I thought that was funny because he was obviously Japanese and his accent sounded stilted . The coffee came in a martini glass (??) and I watched and listened to the people around me. There were French, Italian and valley-girl English being spoken. From the balcony, I can see the national azabu market, which is basically a supermarket for foreigners with products completely overpriced.

I find it interesting that many people shop here, when I'm sure there are many cheaper supermarkets around this area. Also, it is strange how the supermarket also sells American or British dishwashing liquid. It is strange that some people feel the need to buy specific dish washing liquid from their home country. Perhaps this shows that some foreigners living in Japan have no intention to, or find it difficult to assimilate or even integrate into the culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home