Tokyo Watch

Friday, November 10, 2006

International Project


Initially, So, we have been working in groups of three with people from Philadelphia, London and here in Tokyo. My groups picked the topic of architecture, so I went out to look for traditional Japanese architecture, which was actually harder to find than I expected. Coincidentally, there was a historical house that has been preserved near my house that was built in the traditional Japanese style of architecture. It was the house of a rich landlord (the Toyama family) in the countryside, so there are a lot of bedrooms, sitting rooms, lounges, powder rooms and a beautiful Japanese garden. Initially, I was planning to take one photo there, and then go on to taking photos in a very futuristic area in Shinjuku, however I changed my mind. I thought that there are enough of those high-rise metallic buildings in all the main cities of the world, and I really wanted to show something a little bit more unique to Japan. I even found a kimono given to me when I was younger, a traditional bingata from Okinawa. I was wearing a kimono for the first time in 9 years, so it was very awkward to walk and breathe in it. The bingata is a very special kimono, because each pattern is hand painted by a special craftsmen. Even though it was difficult at the beginning, wearing a kimono became almost normal after a while. It makes every movement seem a lot more graceful and it straightened out my posture.

It was difficult to co-ordinate this project with people in two different countries, but I'm really looking forward to how we all interpreted the project. Also, wearing the kimono and visiting the house was important for me, because it helped me to understand more about my own culture and my family. It also made my mum very happy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home